of The Shamrock Lodge Hotel
The house began its life as the home of Michael Monks in 1814. It was established as an Athlone hotel in 1951 by the late Mr. Frank Coen and was later owned by the Colgan family. The hotel was purchased in 1993 by the current owner Mr. Paddy McCaul. The hotel is strongly supported locally in Athlone and underwent a redevelopment in 2005 adding 40 Deluxe & Superior Bedrooms and 12 Two-Bedroom suites which are the very best accommodation Athlone has to offer. The redevelopment also included renovations to bar and lobby areas as well as a new function & conference room.
Paddy along with his son Alan, who is General Manager, work hard together with their team to ensure each and every guest enjoys their stay at The Shamrock Lodge Hotel. As somewhat of a landmark in the town, the hotel has been fortunate to welcome generations of families share special milestone celebrations from christenings, graduations and weddings. Further redevelopments and renovations have taken place in 2016 and 2017 including the John Broderick Ballroom, Ath Luain Restuarant, gardens and Princess Grace Honeymoon Suite.
As one of the finest hotels in Athlone, we have been fortunate to welcome many distinguished guests during the last century including:
Princess Grace of Monaco
Queen Salote of Tonga
Former U.S. Ambassador to Ireland William Taft III
Former Presidents of Ireland Sean T. Kelly, Dr. Patrick Hillary, Mary Robinson
Former Taoiseach Mr. Jack Lynch
Visitors to the Shamrock Lodge Hotel Athlone sometimes ask where it got its name.
One theory is that an early owner of the lodge was a member of the Freemasons whose Athlone branch was known as Shamrock Lodge 101.
While others say that the grounds around the house was famous for shamrock.
For more information on our hotel or to book a room, please contact the hotel on +353 (0) 90 649 2601 or email firstname.lastname@example.org