History and Guests
Visitors to the Shamrock Lodge Hotel Athlone sometimes ask where it got its name.
- One theory is that an early owner of the lodge was a member of the Freemasons whose Athlone branch was known as Shamrock Lodge 101.
- While others say that the grounds around the house was famous for shamrock.
The house began its life as the home of Michael Monks in 1814. It was established as an Athlone hotel in 1951 by the late Mr. Frank Coen and was later owned by the Colgan family and purchased in 1993 by the current owner Mr. Paddy McCaul. The hotel is strongly supported locally in Athlone and underwent a redevelopment in 2005 adding 40 Deluxe & Superior Bedrooms and 11 Two Bedroom suites which are the very best accommodation Athlone has to offer. The redevelopment also included renovations to bar and lobby areas as well as a new function & conference room.
As one of the finest hotels in Athlone, we have been fortunate to welcome many distinguished guests during the last century including:
- Princess Grace of Monaco
- Queen Salote of Tonga
- Prince Rainier
- Former U.S. ambassador to Ireland William Taft III
- Former Presidents of Ireland Sean T. Kelly, Dr. Patrick Hillary, Mary Robinson
- Former Taoiseach Mr. Jack Lynch
Book now for the best rate.